Monday, May 12, 2014

Why Did I Start Reading Divergent?

The book I chose to start reading for my english reading book is Divergent by Veronica Roth. I chose to start reading this book because I have heard many good things about from many people such as teachers, friends, etc. who say that is a definite must read. I was also interested because of the movie coming out soon and I wanted to see if the book would be as good because the movie previews for this looked exciting. I like how she gets right into the point of view of the main character. She also adds really well-written implicit details allowing the reader to better understand the thought process of characters. This is best shown when the author writes "When I look at the Abnegation lifestyle as an outsider, I think it's beautiful. When I watch my family move in harmony; when we go to dinner parties and everyone cleans up afterwards without having to be asked; when I see Caleb help strangers carry their groceries, I fall in love with this life all over again.Its only when I try to live it myself that I have trouble. It never feels genuine"(Roth, 24). I think that this book will get more interesting because I have only read the first 38 pages and I already am drawn into it.

2 comments:

  1. I also think reading the book before I go to see the movie. I have not read this. Is it like the hunger games?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book and loved it!!! When I saw the movie I was not impressed at all I think they left out a lot.

    ReplyDelete