Sunday, May 18, 2014
Syntax
This story uses uses a wide variety of syntax. In syntax specifically it uses long sentences that just make up a whole paragraph and then it goes to some telegraphic and short sentences. This is best seen when it says "As soon as I lift my eyes to scan the buildings, I know where we're going: the empty Hancock building, a black village with crisscrossed girders, the tallest building north of the bridge. But what are we going to do? Climb it?" (Roth, 215). This shows how the author keeps the reader interest by adding a few short. telegraphic sentences to keep the reader interested and engaged. Not only are these sentences short and telegraphic though, they are rhetorical questions which keeps the readers mind thinking of ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Are you reading the first book in the series? I am right now and I really like it and agree with what you have said about the syntax
ReplyDelete